Tuesday, October 31, 2006

They don't know

I'm a passenger in my friend's van and we're driving down the street. I can't help but see inside the house as I'm being driven past it. It's dark outside, but the lights inside show someone is home. As I'm going past the house for just a second or two, I see through the window and notice someone walking across the room. They don't see me and they have no idea I'm even there, let alone looking at them. In my mind I think how amazing it is that I am, if only for a fleeting moment, in that house with them. Seeing the framed picture hanging on the wall behind this person... I think it's a woman... walking past the window to who knows where. I wonder what she's doing. I wonder where she went as she passed the window to where I could no longer see her. Did she go to the kitchen? Is she making dinner? Did she stay there awhile or did she grab something and come right back past the window again for someone else to see her on the return trip? What's her name? Is she sickly or healthy? Is she a nice woman? Does she have lots of friends? Hobbies?

And then she's gone. Or rather, I'm gone...continuing on my drive and perhaps seeing someone else in a bit. Maybe the next person I see is eating in a restaurant while they are swallowing a bite of cheesecake, totally unaware that someone saw them swallow that last bit of goodness.

2 comments:

Mark Shellhammer said...

Nicely done, an interesting study of your subjective experience with self and otherness.
Thanks for sharing that {{Lori}}

tao1776 said...

You sure that we're not related? I thought that only I thought like this?